What is Aadhaar card and How to Apply for it ?
Aadhaar number is a 12-digit random number issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) to the residents of India after satisfying the verification process laid down by the Authority. Any individual, irrespective of age and gender, who is a resident of India, may voluntarily enrol to obtain an Aadhaar number. The person who wants to enrol for aadhaar has to provide demographic and biometric information. There is no need to pay as the Aadhaar enrolment process is totally free of cost. Aadhaar card is an important document and a number of government schemes and services require Aadhaar number for registration and verification purposes. If you do not have Aadhaar card, then you should apply for it immediately. Below is the complete procedure to apply for Aadhaar card.
So are you looking to apply for Aadhar card?
Aadhaar Enrolment Process
The Aadhaar card enrolment process includes the following
1. Visiting an enrolment center.
2. Filling the Aadhaar enrolment form.
3. Getting the demographic and biometric data captured.
4. Submitting the proof of Identity and address documents.
5. Collecting the acknowledgement slip containing enrolment Id.
Highlights of Aadhaar Enrolment
1. The Aadhaar card enrolment process is free of cost.
2. You can visit to any authorized Aadhaar enrolment center in India.
3. You need to carry your proof of identity and proof of address documents.
4. UIDAI accepts a wide range of PoI (Proof of Identity) and PoA (Proof of Address) documents.
5. In case, there are no documents available, the resident may also take the help of Introducers available at the enrolment center. The Introducers are notified by the Registrar. For more details please contact the office of the concerned Registrar.
6. You need to enrol only once.
7. The waiting time for Aadhaar card may vary from 60-90 days after receipt of resident data packets in CIDR.
Process to apply for Aadhaar card
You have to visit an Aadhaar enrolment centre set up by the Enrolment Agency near you. You can find an enrolment centre by clicking on https://appointments.uidai.gov.in/easearch.aspx. Just enter your state, district, sub-district and VTC (Village Town City) to find the nearest enrolment centre.
You have to carry your supporting documents i.e. Proof of Identity (PoI), Proof of Address (PoA) and date of birth documents. UIDAI accepts 18 PoI and 35 PoA documents. You have to fill an application form available at the enrolment centre.
- You need to bring original copies of supporting documents for Aadhaar enrolment. These original copies will be scanned and handed back to you after the enrolment.
- At the enrolment centre, two types of data get captured for Aadhaar enrolment i.e. Demographic and Biometric. Demographic data includes Name, Gender, DoB, Address, Mobile number and email id & Biometric data includes 10 Finger Prints, Both Iris, and photograph. Mobile number and email id are optional.
- After collection of all the details, you will get an acknowledgement slip containing enrolment Id.
- With this 14 digit enrolment number, you can keep a check on the status of your Aadhaar card application.
Supported PoI Documents Containing Name and Photo
- PAN Card
- Ration/ PDS Photo Card
- Voter ID
- Driving License
- Government Photo ID Cards/ service photo identity card issued by PSU 7. NREGS Job Card
- Photo ID issued by Recognized Educational Institution
- Arms License
- Photo Bank ATM Card
- Photo Credit Card
- Pensioner Photo Card
- Freedom Fighter Photo Card
- Kissan Photo Passbook
- CGHS / ECHS Photo Card
- Address Card having Name and Photo issued by Department of Posts 17. Certificate of Identify having photo issued by Gazetted Officer or Tehsildar on letterhead
- Disability ID Card/handicapped medical certificate issued by the respective State/UT Governments/Administrations
Supported PoA Documents Containing Name and Address
- Bank Statement/ Passbook
- Post Office Account Statement/Passbook
- Ration Card
- Voter ID
- Driving License
- Government Photo ID cards/ service photo identity card issued by PSU 8. Electricity Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Water bill (not older than 3 months)
- Telephone Landline Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Property Tax Receipt (not older than 1 year)
- Credit Card Statement (not older than 3 months)
- Insurance Policy
- Signed Letter having Photo from Bank on letterhead
- Signed Letter having Photo issued by registered Company on letterhead
- Signed Letter having Photo issued by Recognized Educational Institutions on letterhead
- NREGS Job Card
- Arms License
- Pensioner Card
- Freedom Fighter Card
- Kisan Passbook
- CGHS / ECHS Card
- Certificate of Address having photo issued by MP or MLA or Gazetted Officer or Tehsildar on letterhead
- Certificate of Address issued by Village Panchayat head or its equivalent authority (for rural areas)
- Income Tax Assessment Order
- Vehicle Registration Certificate
- Registered Sale / Lease / Rent Agreement
- Address Card having Photo issued by Department of Posts
- Caste and Domicile Certificate having Photo issued by State Govt.
- Disability ID card/handicapped medical certificate issued by respective State/UT Governments/Administrations
- Gas Connection Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Passport of Spouse
- Passport of Parents (in case of Minor)
- Allotment letter of accommodation issued by Central/State government of not more than 3 years old
- Marriage Certificate Issued by the Government containing address
Supported PoR Documents containing Relationship details to Head of Family
- PDS Card
- MNREGA Job Card
- CGHS/State Government/ECHS/ESIC Medical card
- Pension Card
- Army Canteen Card
- Birth Certificate issued by Registrar of Birth, Municipal Corporation and other notified local government bodies like Taluk, Tehsil etc.
- Any other Central/State government issued family entitlement document 9. Marriage Certificate Issued by the Government
Supported Proof of DoB Documents
- Birth Certificate
- SSLC Book/Certificate
- Certificate of Date of Birth issued by Group A Gazetted Officer on letterhead
- PAN Card
- Mark sheet issued by any Government Board or University
- Government Photo Id Card / Photo identity card issued by PSU containing DoB
- Central/State Pension Payment Order
- Central Government Health Service Scheme Photo Card or Ex-Servicemen Contributory Health Scheme Photo card
How to check Aadhaar card status online
You have enrolled. Now you can check if your Aadhaar is generated. To check your Aadhaar status, you will require Enrolment Id.
- Go to the UIDAI website:https://uidai.gov.in/
- Click on “Check Aadhaar Status” tab under “Aadhaar Online Services”.
- Now enter 14 digit enrolment number and 14 digit date and time of enrolment.
- Click on “Check Status” button.
- It will show the status of your Aadhaar card.
Hope the above-mentioned procedure will help you to apply for Aadhaar card.